Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chicken PMS?

The girls have been acting strange. Yes, more than usual! They are moody and in the morning they don't make the normal squawking and begging for treats noises. Then we started to notice feathers EVERYWHERE!!! We also have only got one egg over the last three days as opposed to the normal 2-3 eggs per day. Yup, the girls are having their first moult. We had read about moulting and knew that it came in the winter so I am not surprised by the actual moulting but what none of the books told us about would be the moodiness. They have all started pecking at us when we put fresh food or water in their pen (even my dear sweet Scabby!). The feathers are also getting all over the basement. Today I found one in the potato bin and another in the fish tank- ew! Plus I am starting to find that they are sticking to our shoes, and as we walk up stairs we are bringing the feathers with us. I was less than pleased to find a chicken feather in my bed last night! This will be an interesting time with our girls......

No comments:

Post a Comment